Welcome to Belmont State School – an exceptional learning community where we work collaboratively to realise our school motto – "strive to excel". I am very proud to be Principal of Belmont State School and am privileged to share the following information about our great school.
Our school builds on a long and proud tradition and ensures a commitment to and a belief in, each and every student and their learning. Academic success and achievement are coupled with a wide range of arts, cultural and sporting opportunities. Enthusiastic students, a professional staff and our school community are all strongly supportive of student achievement and embrace experiences and programs that enable social and emotional learning and strong supportive relationships. A sincere and authentic partnership between school and home is the foundation for a successful education. The value of this partnership cannot be understated as a key component in the development and success of our students.
Our school provides quality co-educational learning for students from the Prep Year to Year Six and has a professional, skilled and passionate staff who facilitate quality education. Our school staff strive to ensure all students are provided with the opportunity to learn, succeed, achieve and improve.
As an inaugural Independent Public School in Queensland, Belmont State School continues to explore innovations to ensure growth and improvement in and for learning. Our active and effective P&C Association and supportive school community enhance the collaboration and partnership that comes with quality education. In 2013, the Belmont State School Council was established to continue to guide the vision and direction of our school.
We provide a wealth of opportunities for students through a range of academic and extra-curricular experiences including:
- Strategic curriculum planning across year levels to ensure continuity of teaching for improved student outcomes;
- Inclusive practices that cater for the diverse range of student abilities, interests, social and cultural backgrounds;
- A dynamic music program featuring strings, brass, woodwind, percussion and choirs;
- Performing Arts activities such as an Arts Day rotational activities, annual art exhibition, 'Stars on Stage' and prom concerts;
- A literature carnival featuring workshops with renowned authors, illustrators, cartoonists, poets, and the book week parade;
- Comprehensive Languages program with all students studying Japanese;
- Inter-house and inter-school sporting activities;
- As a feeder school for Gymnastics Queensland High Performance Centre for aspiring Olympians;
- A Student Council to develop opportunity for 'student voice', charity fundraising and purchase of school equipment;
- Outside School Hours Care program provided by 'Helping Hand's Network'.
Our school's facilities feature:
- All learning areas fully air-conditioned and equipped with Interactive White Boards;
- A large hall, with sprung floor and an air-conditioned multipurpose centre - facilities for both school and community use;
- A nature playspace and dedicated playgrounds designed with age appropriate play in mind;
- A well-resourced and engaging library and resource centre;
- Two ovals and four playground equipped areas.
Belmont State School is a 'Positive Behaviour for Learning' (PBL) school as we recognise the need for a safe, supportive, disciplined and engaging learning environment. Our school uses the PBL framework, Second Step for Learning program (an SEL program) and the four 'rules' below to ensure that everyone can grow to be a Belmont Star.
- Be Safe,
- Be a Learner,
- Be Respectful,
- Be Responsible.
I look forward to welcoming and working with you at Belmont State School. Our school is a great school, becoming greater, with a focus on innovation, performance and – most importantly – students.
Mrs Angela Douglas